Nyle Water Heating Systems (“NWHS”) is a rapidly growing, innovative company that develops, manufactures, and sells heat pump water heaters for commercial and residential applications.(https://www.heatwater.com/). We are a young, innovative, and rapidly growing company that has a culture that matches that of a start-up even though we have been a leader in our space for many years.
NWHS is headquartered in Brewer, Maine (Bangor Area)
This role is intended to be on-site. Candidates requiring hybrid or remote work schedules will not be considered.
NWHS is looking for a Director of Engineering. The right candidate will “do what it takes to make this a success”, adapt to rapid change and work through ambiguity while maintaining a positive attitude.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, Director of Engineering will be responsible for all day-to-day aspects of Heat Pump Water Heater Engineering, including:
- Lead and manage a growing, high-performance team of electrical, controls and mechanical engineers in both product and manufacturing engineering roles.
- Design and direct the work of the functional area. Select, coach, and develop the team, setting objectives that align with company strategy to inspire and motivate the team.
- Create and sustain an organizational culture which encourages innovation, collaboration, excitement, commitment, and a sense of urgency toward goals, and continuous improvement.
- Lead a slate of projects to support the development of current and next-generation heat pump water heater products and control systems.
- Assure that department achieves objectives and project completion within budget and time frame.
- Stay current with industry trends, ensuring that the company maintains and expands its technology leadership position.
- Motivate staff and provide technical direction and guidance, as well as hands-on project management, recognizing the role as that of both manager and support resource / mentor.
- Develop new products from conception to testing to production.
- Collaborate with marketing to determine the potential for new products.
- Participate in product line rationalization and simplification discussions.
- Establish and maintain a system of engineering change controls.
- Develop specific short-term and long-term plans and programs to improve productivity and capacity and prepare the necessary budgets and justifications for these projects.
- Support improvements in safety, quality, delivery, productivity, and cost improvements of manufacturing operations
Job Requirements and Qualifications
- Minimum of Bachelor of Science in Electrical or Mechanical.
- Advanced engineering degree is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in a leadership role in the HVAC-R industry.
- 10+ years of engineering work experience in the HVAC-R industry with a heavy emphasis in controls and refrigeration systems
- Demonstrated project management skills is a must have.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant UL certifications, building management systems
- Heat pump knowledge and experience strongly preferred.
- Plumbing industry experience / knowledge is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience driving lean manufacturing principles and practices.
- New product development experience is a plus.
- Confidence and willingness to take calculated risks, implement new ideas, drive for results, and sustain change.
- Willingness to get out on the production floor and be hands-on.
- Proven record of attracting and developing talented people, and the ability to effectively allocate and utilize resources.
- Estimated Travel: <10%
What’s in it for you
- This is a long-term position with opportunity for growth.
- Competitive compensation
- Paid time off: Vacation days; Holidays; Sick days.
- Benefits: Medical; Dental; Employer Matching 401(k), Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance.
Job Type: Full-time, Exempt